Quickly make these colorful M&M cookie bars that will delight kids and adults this holiday season. Chock-full of M&Ms and chocolate chips, these bar cookies come together in minutes and only require one trip to the oven for a sweet Christmas treat.
Before I tell you about the BEST M&M bars (this recipe is a winner!), you might also love these delicious double chocolate peppermint cookies, or my gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting which are two of my favorite Christmas treats!
You all know that I love cookies, and my kids love them just as much as I do! These Christmas M&M bars are a fun, festive and easy cookie that we can bake together. The dough comes together so quickly, and since these are bar cookies, all the dough is baked at once—that's only one trip to the oven! The kids love the colorful M&Ms, and let's be honest, so do I! The holiday colors in these cookies make everything feel merry and bright.
Your whole family is going to love these M&M bars!
They start with a delicious cookie dough and then the M&Ms and chocolate chips are added. You can count on every bite having plenty of chocolate in it.
Another great thing about these cookie bars is that they are a crowd-pleaser. Everyone can have their favorite part of the cookie bar—inside bars for people who like moist and dense cookies, and outside bars for people who like thick and chewy cookies. These babies are substantial! But whether you prefer inside or outside pieces, all of the cookies have a fun festive flair!
These cookie bars start with staple ingredients for cookie dough, with the addition of holiday M&Ms. So be sure to grab some M&Ms before you start to make these.
Here are the ingredients for M&M cookie bars:
- butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- light brown sugar
- pure vanilla
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
How to Make M&M Bars
Once you have all of your ingredients, you're ready to make these delicious M&M bars. Follow along to see how to make these cookie bars:
- Line a 9X13 pan with parchment (this parchment is my favorite), then lightly spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Make the parchment long enough to hang over the sides so you can lift the cookie bars from the pan when they have cooled.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar together until fluffy. (I use my mixer for this recipe)
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in baking soda and salt. Then add flour, mixing until combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chocolate chips and 1 cup of the M&Ms by hand.
- Spread out the cookie dough evenly in the pan. The dough is thick, so try to make sure you spread it as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle additional ½ cup M&Ms over the top of the dough. Or more; I won't judge.
- Bake at 350℉ for 35–40 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- Let cool and then lift out of the pan by grabbing the foil overhang. Place on a cutting board to easily cut into pieces. I tend to cut them into squares (12 per pan) and then cut each square in half (24) so they are a bit easier for the little ones to eat.
These quick and easy Christmas cookie bars are full of M&Ms and chocolate chips, making them perfect for cookie exchanges, neighbor gifts, or a family treat during the holiday season.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups M&Ms, divided (1 10 oz. package, holiday colored)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9X13 pan with parchment and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar together until fluffy. (I use my mixer for this recipe)
Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. Mix in baking soda and salt. Then add flour, mixing until combined. Add chocolate chips and 1 cup M&Ms. Stir by hand until they're evenly distributed.
Spread the dough out evenly into the pan.
Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup M&Ms over the dough.
Bake 35 - 40 minutes in the middle of the oven. Let cool completely. Remove from pan and place on cutting board to cut into pieces with a large knife.
Tip: For extra Christmas charm, use a simple cookie cutter, such as a star or gingerbread man, to cut them out.
Here are a few more delicious Christmas treats to try out this holiday season!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.