The best chocolate peppermint cookies I have ever had! These delicious mint cookies with a double chocolate base are perfect for Christmas Cookie exchanges, neighbor gifts, or just your favorite holiday memories baking at home with the family.
I am a sucker for a good Christmas Cookie and won't rest until I find the best recipes, like the perfect soft gingerbread cookies or thumbprint cookies.
But let me tell you, I took one bite of these double chocolate peppermint cookies and my first thought was, "we are definitely making these every Christmas from now on!" These are so good that they are absolutely going to make our yearly holiday baking rotation!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Most of the ingredients in this recipe are simple holiday staples.
Ingredients for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
To make double chocolate peppermint cookies, you just need a few staple ingredients:
- brown sugar
- vanilla and peppermint extracts
- baking soda and salt
- chocolate chips
- vanilla candy coating (or white chocolate chips)
- candy canes
Vanilla and Peppermint Extracts
As with any recipe, the quality of ingredients is key. I always use real extracts instead of the imitation ones and it makes all the difference! The end result and taste is so much better.
How to Make Mint Cookies
- Cream butter in a mixer and whip until fluffy- approximately 2 minutes.
- Add sugars and mix well.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture.
- Pop in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Scoop in a rounded tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for exactly 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 more minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Melt candy coating or white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Add peppermint extract. Dip one side of each cookie in white chocolate and lay onto a sheet of parchment. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Allow to set up before storing or serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but these cookies are best if you eat them within 3 days of baking.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Tips
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect mint cookies!
Candy coating or white chocolate
One of the things you will need to purchase for this recipe is either vanilla candy coating or white chocolate chips. I prefer to use the candy coating bark because it tastes great with the peppermint, is super smooth and easier to work with than white chocolate chips. But, if you prefer white chocolate chips, they will work for this recipe as well.
Just chop up the candy coating and put it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so until smooth.
For the crushed candy canes, I prefer to buy the large box of minis and easily cut off each wrapper and crush in a ziploc bag. I just like the fresh crushed candy canes for some reason, but you could also buy a bag of pre-crushed candy canes that would be a lot easier with less mess.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Delicious peppermint cookies with a double chocolate base are perfect for Christmas Cookie exchanges, neighbor gifts, or just your favorite holiday memories baking at home with the family.
- 1 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour (spoon and level)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (spoon and level)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces vanilla candy coating (or sub white chocolate chips)
- 1½ teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (approx. 20 minis)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter in a mixer and whip until fluffy- approximately 2 minutes. Add sugars and mix well. Add eggs and vanilla.
Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, a little at a time, being careful not to overmix. Mix in chocolate chips
Wrap dough in parchment paper, press into a disk shape and pop in the fridge for an hour or so.
Scoop with a heaping, rounded tablespoon scoop onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for exactly 8 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies just barely no longer appear wet. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 more minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
Melt candy coating or white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 1-2 minutes, stopping to stir every 30 seconds or so. Add peppermint extract. Dip one side of each cookie in white chocolate and lay onto a sheet of parchment. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but these cookies are best if you eat them within 3 days of baking.
I hope you enjoy making (and eating) these decadent double chocolate peppermint cookies! Here are 5 more delicious Christmas cookies you will love!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies by Ella Claire & Co. | Whipped Shortbread Cookies by Inspired by Charm | Cranberry Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Anderson + Grant
Stamped Gingerbread Glaze Cookies by Handmade Farmhouse | Peppermint Sugar Cookies by Freutcake | M&M Christmas Cookies by I Heart Naptime
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I baked these for Christmas giving yesterday. One word describes them...amazing! One of the best cookies I've ever tasted. Thank you for the recipe.