Add these wonderful Christmas books to your collection this year and create memories of reading by the fire with your children! This is a list of all of my favorite kids Christmas stories and those submitted as reader favorites as well!
Every year, we lovingly pull out our collection of Christmas books, and it is one of the highlights of our holiday season. It has become a tradition that we all enjoy as we spend quality time together.
Each night up until Christmas, we read a book together as a family. We get into our cozy jammies, sometimes have a candy cane or a cup of homemade hot chocolate and a soft gingerbread cookie. We snuggle up by the fireplace, under the Christmas garland and stockings and read together. Every night, without fail, the little ones ask for "just one more!"
Below is a list of more than 75 of Christmas Books that are our favorites along with reader favorites. I hope our list brings happy memories to your home too!
Christmas books make the very best gifts! Reading stories to children has so many benefits including brain development, bonding, and just plain joy and entertainment. Many life lessons and memories are made on the laps of parents reading to their children.
When you give the gift of Christmas books to children, they last for years. Many toys are used for only a short time, but books can be passed on to their own children someday.
Tips for Finding Cheap Books
If you prefer not to buy new, children's Christmas books can be easy to purchase second-hand. With a little extra effort, you might even be able to find ones that look practically new or find holiday classics with vintage charm.
- Buy them in the off season. Sometimes you can pick up Christmas books at local grocery stores or thrift stores after Christmas and get them for a steal- even 75-80% off!
- I have bought a bunch of books off of Ebay. Check the condition, etc. very carefully and you can find some real treasures!
- Use your coupons! Fabric and craft stores sometimes have christmas books and most will let you use your coupons to buy them.
- Black Friday sales are another great option. Many Christmas children's books will be available for a steal during those sales.
Best Children's Christmas Books
Our Favorite Christmas Books
We like to add to our collection, little by little each year. Here are some of our favorites!
- The Night Before Christmas
- Christmas Oranges
- Snowmen at Night
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Polar Express
- A Christmas Dress for Ellen
- The Christmas Train
- Mary Engelbreit Nutcracker
- The Mismatched Nativity
- Santa Mouse
- Construction Site on Christmas Night
- Finding Christmas
- Snowmen at Work
- If I could Give you Christmas
- Away in a Manger Thomas Kincaid
- Away in a manger (with beautiful pictures)
- Gingerbread Mouse
- Snow Bunny's Christmas Wish
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Snowmen all year
- The Gingerbread Man
- S is for Santa
- Merry Christmas Little Elliot
- The Very Snowy Christmas
- The Snowman
- A Christmas Wish Peter rabbit
- The Jolly Christmas Postman
- How to catch an elf
- Santa's Book of Names
Christmas Books on My Wish List:
I am so excited for some of these that I have ordered for this season! My little ones will be so thrilled! Here are the current ones at the top of my wish list.
- Red and Lulu
- Little Red Sleigh
- When Santa Was a Baby
- Mice Skating
- The Little Reindeer
- The Wish Tree
- Pick a Pine Tree
- Tallulah's Nutcracker
- The Christmas Wish
- Christmas Farm
More Reader Favorites
I asked you guys for your favorite Christmas books, and here is the list of your favorites! I can't wait to add some of these to our collection as well!
- A New Coat for Anna
- A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
- The Legend of the Candy Cane
- Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
- The Snow Globe Family
- The Little Match Girl
- The Legend of the Christmas Stocking
- The Christmas Tree Ship
- A Certain Small Shepherd
- Tale of the Three Trees
- The Crippled Lamb
- One Wintry Night
- Little House Christmas
- Song of the Stars
- Cranberry Christmas
- Silver Packages
- The Story of Holly and Ivy
- Humphrey's First Christmas
- Night Tree
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
- Mary's First Christmas
- The Christmas Baby
- Room for a Little One
- Dream Snow
- Snowmen at Christmas
- Carl's Christmas
- The Friendly Beasts
- The Snow Tree
- The Gingerbread Baby (and other books by Jan Brett)
- A Wish for Wings that Work
- Little Jim's Gift
- Christmas Tapestry
- The Christmas Donkey
- Llama Llama Jingle Bells
- The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
- Welcome Comfort
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas
- The Sweet Smell of Christmas
- The Spirit of Christmas
What are some of your favorite books? Are there any that I am missing from this list?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for this wonderful list. I’m so happy to see my favorite Christmas book, The Story of Holly and Ivy, was included in this post. Auntie Claus is another of our favorites. We love to decorate with our Christmas books, too!
Kristen, what a cute way to showcase children's books. Your children are absolutely adorable! Pig the Elf and Santa Bruce by Ryan Higgins are more lighthearted Christmas books. And Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas is sweet
I love your books! And only have about 1/3 of your titles even though I have a huge collection of children’s Christmas books. Although my kids are adults now I still seem to pick up another 1 or 2 every year (much to my husband’s chagrin). Since my children were quite small I have leaned the books against the wall going up our stairs. It’s an open stairway so they are part of the decorations and were never in danger of being forgotten. I’ve had to expand my display area so my nativity books are on the shelves in my entryway and all my “Night Before Christmas” books are in the family room close to the tree. They warm my heart.
Who Is Coming to Our House
(For young children)