Delicious Spiced Nuts (that we make every Christmas!) are so easy to make and are the loveliest addition to cookie platters, jars for neighbor gifts, or wrapped in tissue and given as a festive holiday treat. And, they make your house smell like absolute heaven!
These festive and sweet cinnamon spiced nuts are so easy to make and come together with just 5 minutes of hands-on time. They are absolutely addictive and stay good for several weeks!
Every holiday season, I find myself making pounds of spiced nuts to wrap for family and friends. It is one of my favorite things to make while the kids are at school because it makes them so happy to come home to the delicious scent in the air and warm nuts fresh out of the oven.
Some of our other favorite recipes that I make every year without fail, are Nonna's Famous Christmas Toffee, Rocky Road Fudge, and these perfect soft gingerbread cookies.
Spiced nuts are the perfect combination of sweet and spice. Packed with flavor, every bite is savory and scrumptious. With minimal ingredients and only minutes of prep time, this recipe is ideal to have during the holidays.
Why You’ll Love these Spiced Nuts
My family and friends always ask for these spiced nuts when the weather starts to turn cold and the different holiday celebrations begin. I don't mind replenishing them when we're running low because as an added bonus, they make my home smell amazing!
- Less preservatives than store bought options
- Great treat/snack option
- Perfect to serve at parties
- Beautiful gift option
- So easy to make
- Minimal Ingredients
- Makes your house smell amazing- heavenly!
Packed with flavor, these spiced nuts are perfect for the holidays. Weather you're needing a snack or wanting a delicious topper for all those yummy dishes you'll be cooking up, or simply just looking for a festive gift for dear friends and loved ones, these nuts have got you covered. They feel so fancy, but they are easy and quick to whip up. They never disappoint!
Type of Nuts to Use
You can make this recipe with man different types of Nuts. From walnuts to pecans, to whole almonds or even assorted mixed nuts. This recipe calls for raw nuts (without salt), but if you only have salted nuts on hand, just omit the salt in this recipe. They will still be a bit saltier than the recipe typically makes, but they will be yummy. Sweet and salty is always a match made in heaven, right?
Spiced walnuts are one of my favorite ways to make this spiced nuts recipe. Walnuts are widely available and I buy mine in the bulk food section for added savings.
Not quite as sweet of a nut as compared to pecans, spiced walnuts are great on salads, sweet potatoes and can compliment other dishes as well.
Pecans are probably my favorite nut to use in this recipe. I love pecans! They have a natural sweetness and richness that makes compliment this recipe.
Spiced pecans feel a little more elegant and are perfect for gift giving, or a great appetizer for parties. They are also a delicious topping on ice cream!
Spiced Nuts Ingredients
- Pure Vanilla extract – I always buy the best vanilla extract I can find, or make my own. It makes such a huge difference to use a good quality vanilla!
- Egg white - Whipped until frothy.
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar - using both white and brown sugars in this recipe adds to the flavor.
- Cinnamon- the star of the show! A tablespoon might seem like a lot, but trust me when I say that it is perfect.
- Nutmeg- I love nutmeg so I always add a pinch to my spiced nuts. Many recipes don't have nutmeg, but I love it in mine.
- Salt- I always use fine sea salt
- Unsalted, shelled pecan or walnut halves- you can play with substituting other types of nuts as well.
How to Make Spiced Nuts
- Preheat Oven to 300°. Line a large baking sheet with a parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white, vanilla, and water until combined and frothy. Gently toss nuts in the egg white mixture until well coated.
- Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over nuts and toss just until pecans are covered.
- Spread pecans out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. I think the easiest way to do this is with a spatula. I usually end up baking for right at 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. When completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Can be eaten while still warm as well- which is delicious!
The full printable recipe is below.
Spiced Nuts Tips
- Use whatever nuts are your favorite! Or a mix if you prefer variety.
- It is really important to stir every 15 minutes so the nuts bake evenly.
- Don't put a double recipe on a single baking sheet. It is important to only use one recipe per baking sheet so they bake all the way.
- Mixed Nuts
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you get the spices to stick to the nuts?
To get the spices to stick to the nuts, you'll want to whisk together the egg white, vanilla, and water until combined and frothy and then gently toss your nuts in the mixture until well coated. The egg makes the sugar and spices stick to the nuts.
Are spiced nuts a healthy snack?
Coated in sugar, I would put them in the treat/dessert category, but nuts do have healthier benefits than other straight sugar options. Nuts retain all their nutritional goodness, healthy fats, protein and fiber.
What is it used for?
- Great snack option
- Perfect to serve at parties
- Wonderful gifts
- salad topper
- neighbor gift
- cookie platters
- Holiday treat
What kind of pan should I use?
I use a half baking sheet, fully lined in parchment paper.
How to Store
Refrigerator- When stored in an airtight container, the spiced nuts can last for up to 1 month. If you store in the fridge, they can last even longer.
Room Temperature- Can be stored in an airtight container for several weeks.
Freezer- Properly stored in an airtight container in the freezer, spiced nuts have a storage life of 6 months.
More Delicious Recipes That Include Nuts
Are you a nut fanatic like me? Try out these other tasty dishes that include nuts.
Sweet Potato Bites - These individual slices of sweet potatoes are baked with butter, sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon then topped with toasted marshmallow and a pecan.
Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake - This pumpkin pecan coffee cake has the perfect amount of spices, nuts, and crumbly brown sugar topping, making it a delicious breakfast or snack.
Walnut and Apple Coffee Cake - A delicious and semi-dense apple cake with a decadent brown sugar and walnut crumb topping. You can serve drizzled with glaze, or just leave plain. Either way, it tastes amazing!
- Allergen- Contains nuts.
If you make this recipe, please rate it below- and I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram @ellaclaireblog
Easy Spiced Nuts that we make for Christmas every year- delicious and makes your house smell like heaven!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups unsalted pecans or walnut halves
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
Preheat Oven to 300°. Line a large baking sheet with a parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk egg white, vanilla, and water until combined and frothy. Gently toss pecans in the egg white mixture until well coated.
Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture over pecans and toss just until pecans are covered.
Spread pecans out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes with the end of a spatula. *
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. When completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. *
*I usually end up right at 35 minutes baking time. Just bake until coating is cooked and they smell delicious.
*eating warm is amazing. These directions are for longer term storage, but I recommend sneaking a few while they are warm!
Delicious Spiced Nuts by Ella Claire & Co. | Candied Sweet Potatoes by Zevy Joy | The Best Christmas Jello Salad by Handmade Farmhouse
Seafood Lasagna by Inspired by Charm | Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Baked Lasagne by French Country Cottage
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply