This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons. All opinions are 100% mine.
This ice cream sandwich cake with hot fudge and peppermint candy canes is the easiest way to make a Christmas dessert and it is so delicious! It comes together in just minutes and is always a big hit with family or while entertaining.
For this ice cream cake, I use my delicious homemade chocolate sauce for best results. For other Christmas peppermint favorites, try these double chocolate peppermint cookies, peppermint whipped cream, or peppermint cheesecake dip!
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Growing up, ice cream cakes were always a big treat! It was a very rare thing when we would buy one, and it was usually for a birthday or special party. This way of making ice cream cake with sandwiches is so easy that you can have one any time you want!
The full printable recipe is below.
As with any recipe, the quality of ingredients makes such a big difference in the finished product!
You can find holiday baking and cooking essentials, along with beautiful, high-quality seasonal gifting and home decor products exclusively at your local Albertsons store. I love grabbing a bouquet of flowers or a candle for family and friends while I there! I enjoyed this cute candle fromfrom debi lilly design™ for Albertsons while I put together my ice cream cake!
I shopped at my local Albertsons, but you can also find items in store or online at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons. I love popping into my local store where they know me. All I have to do is ask, and they help me to find the perfect ingredients for anything I am working on. I also highly recommend their Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ services; they are a life saver.
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This ice cream sandwich cake comes together in just a few minutes with these easy steps:
- Make this delicious homemade chocolate sauce and allow to cool before assembling cake. Or, you can substitute a jar of store-bought hot fudge sauce.
- In a 13x9 pan, line the bottom with a layer of unwrapped ice cream sandwiches.
- Spread half of the chocolate sauce (1½ cups) on top of the first layer.
- Spread 2 cups of whipped cream on top of that and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Repeat for the second layer: ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, then use 3 cups of whipped cream
- Garnish top with crushed candy canes.
- Put ice cream cake, covered with foil, in the freezer until set up and ready to serve.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 19 ice cream sandwiches (peppermint, if in season)
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes (more if using vanilla ice cream sandwiches)
- 3 cups hot fudge chocolate sauce (see notes)
- 5 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
If making the homemade hot fudge chocolate sauce, make before beginning to layer cake.
In a 13x9 pan, line the bottom with a layer of unwrapped ice cream sandwiches. Spread half of the chocolate sauce (1½ cups) on top of the first layer. Spread 2 cups of whipped cream on top of that and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Repeat for the second layer: ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, use 3 cups of whipped cream, garnish top with crushed candy canes.
Put ice cream cake, covered with foil, in the freezer until set up and ready to serve.
- This is the recipe for chocolate sauce I absolutely love. It also makes the exact amount needed for this recipe.
- If the peppermint ice cream sandwiches are out of season (or sold out), regular vanilla ones can be substituted. Just add extra crushed candy canes in the first layer.
- The peppermint ice cream sandwiches I used are a bit smaller than traditional vanilla ones, so if you end up using a substitution, you may need to adjust for size.
- This ice cream cake serves 16 to 20
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.