A classic cheese ball dip recipe that is quick and easy to make with delicious but simple ingredients. We love this appetizer for Christmas or holiday parties, fall football games, and entertaining.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons. All opinions are 100% my own.
Classic Cheese Ball Recipe
We love whipping up appetizers around here for holidays and special occasions, and this one is both easy and delicious! You might also want to check out my recipes for Jalapeno Popper dip and Green Chile Spinach Artichoke Dip (all family favorites!).
This cheese ball recipe has all of the classic flavors in it from cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pecans and more. I will even share a variation without nuts!
As with any recipe, the quality of ingredients makes such a big difference in the finished product!
I love using the O Organics® (100% USDA Certified Organic) and Signature SELECT™ products that are available in my area exclusively at Albertsons stores. They have a wonderful, consistent quality and value that are made from only good things. You can also find them exclusively at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs/Safeway. You can visit Albertsons.com to find a store near you.
I love popping into my local store where they know me. All I have to do is ask, and they help me to find the perfect ingredients for anything I am working on. I also highly recommend their Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ services; they are a life saver.
How to Serve a Cheese Ball
This cheese ball may be served with anything you love to smother in cheese: vegetables, crackers, pretzels, chips, apples, etc.
I served this recipe with:
- Signature SELECT™ Water Crackers
- O Organics® Stone Ground Wheat Crackers
- O Organics® Everything Crackers
How to Freeze a Cheese Ball
A great entertaining tip is to make your cheese ball ahead of time! It can store in the fridge for several days to weeks, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To freeze, prepare the cheese ball as directed except for rolling in the pecans. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable freezer bag.
To thaw, remove from the freezer the day before serving and place in the fridge. Pull out of the fridge and let sit at room temperature an hour before serving. Roll in the pecans right before serving.
How Long Does a Cheese Ball Last?
The great thing about this recipe is that, unlike other cheese balls, it doesn't have sour cream in it. So, there won't be any separating.
To make ahead, prepare the cheese ball as directed except for rolling it in the pecans. Wrap tightly in plastic and store in the refrigerator.
Pull it out of the refrigerator an hour before serving. After sitting out for an hour, roll in pecans and serve
How long a cheese ball lasts depends on the freshness of your ingredients. Be sure to check expiration dates on the packaging before discarding. The earliest date will give you an idea of how long it will last. If your ingredients are fresh, this is typically about 2 weeks.
This cheese ball is thick and delicious, so serve with a knife to avoid breaking crackers.
Cheese Ball Recipe
Making a cheese ball at home is so easy and is always a crowd pleaser!
- Whip cream cheese in mixer with paddle attachment. Add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, mixing until well combined. Add a dash of hot sauce if you prefer (we usually leave this out).
- Mix in green onions and cheddar cheese. Scrape sides and mix again.
- Using your lightly greased hands, roll cheese mixture into a ball. Holding the ball in one hand, use the other hand to press chopped pecans all over the outside of it. Garnish with a sprinkle of extra parsley.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour to firm it up a bit.
- Use cream cheese that is at room temperature. This will help ensure all ingredients come together smoothly.
- Avoid pre-shredded packaged cheese. It completely changes the texture of the cheese ball!
- Using a mixer is easier, but mix by hand if you don't have one! If you let the cream cheese come to room temperature, it is much easier to stir.
Alternative Option: Roll in Bacon Instead of Nuts
If you need a cheese ball without nuts, or just want to try out another delicious variation, this step is for you!
Substitute the nuts for bacon! Chop up 8 strips of cooked bacon and use them in place of nuts in this recipe. I recommend my tutorial for how to make the best bacon in the oven because it is the perfect crispness for this recipe!
You can garnish with parsley or extra sliced green onions, if you wish.
- 2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese (16 oz. total)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper (a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
- 2 cups hand shredded sharp or medium cheddar (avoid prepackaged shredded cheese)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 green onions (3 if they're small)
- dash hot sauce optional
Whip cream cheese in mixer with paddle attachment. Add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and worchestershire sauce, mixing until well combined.
Mix in green onions and cheese.
Using your lightly greased hands, roll cheese mixture into a ball. Holding ball in one hand, use the other hand to press pecans all over outside of the ball. Garnish with a sprinkle of extra parsley.
Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour to firm it up a bit.
Serve (with a knife) with crackers, pretzels, apples, vegetables, or chips.
Note- If preferred, omit pecans and replace with cooked, chopped bacon.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.