I wanted to share a little bit about the woodwork and paint colors in my She Shed today, but first I wanted to say how completely humbled and blown away I am by all of your sweet comments on my She Shed makeover. Partnering with The Home Depot on this project (see full post here) was such a dream and I am so thankful for all of your kind words! It was so much fun for me to design a space, start to finish, to reflect my style and aesthetic!
One of the things that I knew I wanted to create in my shed was a sense of architecture and classic style woodwork. This served two purposes: to cover the plywood and studs on the walls and to add character and charm to the space.
First, we installed beadboard on the walls. My handy hubby is so good to me and I am always so thankful for his muscle and hard work. We used the 4x8 beadboard sheets from The Home Depot cutting them to size with our Ryobi table saw.
We used the Ryobi airstrike to nail them to the studs. We had to add a couple supporting studs in the corners, but I forgot to take a picture of that part.
Next, we stained the existing ceiling beams. I wanted them to somewhat match the deck we built, so I chose Early American from Minwax.
For the ceiling, we had underlayment plywood ripped into 6" strips. My hubby cut the boards to size and Ella and I whitewashed it with a mixture of water and random white paints I had in my garage. Nailing them to the ceiling proved to be a little bit of a challenge because the roofing nails were sticking through the ceiling plywood boards, but my husband was a trooper. I love, love, love the result!
I left the wood framing around the windows alone. I decided that instead of trying to fight with them and cover them up, I would just embrace them and work with them! I caulked them right along with the beadboard and I love the result! While the hubbs was working on the ceiling, I began to caulk the rest of the room. Don't look too closely because I was doing all of this one-handed. I actually had broken my hand a couple days before, so I did the best I could!
We used the 6" strips of underlayment as the top moldings as well as the baseboards. We also put a strip under the windows to match the width of the framing over the top of the windows, and to finish them off. When I finished caulking, I lightly sanded all of the caulk to smooth it out. We painted the beadboard and all of the remaining exposed studs and plywood in Ultra White from Behr. Then we painted the floor in Graywash- Restore 4x paint- before we attached the baseboards (which we pre-painted before hanging).
When everything was finished, my hubby installed the bookshelf, but I will be talking more about that later this week.
Overall, the color scheme is one of my favorite things about my She Shed. It is such a calm and relaxing space... muted, but bright and interesting because of all of the layered textures. I think I will need to bring this color palette into another room in my home since I love it so much.
You can see more of my She Shed posts and tutorials here:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.