I had a little fun refashioning these candlesticks.
To start, I needed to find a way to stack them.
I removed the metal plate from the top of two of them and the felt pads from the bottom of the other two. I was happy when I stacked them and saw that they were perfectly flat and sat on top of each other well.
I put a thick bead of wood glue on the bottom candlesticks and stacked the other candlesticks on top. I made sure they had continuous pressure by stacking a couple of books on them until the wood glue dried.
I decided that I wanted them to be a pale olivey green with bits of the white and black original paint showing through. I decided to try to make my own chalk paint, so I used one of the methods I saw on Pinterest.
Chalk Paint Recipe
1 cup of flat paint
1 Tbs. unsanded tile grout
I mixed it well with a plastic fork and painted directly onto the candlesticks without priming them.
I AM IN LOVE!! It went on thick and barely needed two coats.
Once dry, I distresed them using a combination of steel wool (my secret distressing weapon) and 80 and 120 grit sandpaper.
I really liked the paint job…. not sure that I love the shape of the candlesticks now; they might be a little masculine for my taste. I will have to live with them for a while. However, I am VERY happy with the results of the chalk paint and I will definitely use this recipe again.
I think they are a pretty color next to my sand dollars and starfish. My hunky hubby and I collected those sand dollars on our honeymoon. It is one of my favorite memories.